Narara - Niagara Park
About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Narara - Niagara Park is 11,235, with a population density of 8.61 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Narara - Niagara Park is bounded by Wyong Shire in the north, the suburbs of Lisarow and Wyoming in the east, Narara Creek and the suburb of West Gosford in the south and the locality of Somersby in the west.
The meaning of Narara is uncertain, but is believed to be an aboriginal word for "black snake" or "rib" or "bones". Niagara Park takes its name from the homestead of early property developer, an American, Frank L. Measures. It is believed to be named a
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (13 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the 1820s. Timber getting and cattle-raising were two early economic mainstays of the sparsely populated area. Growth was minimal until the late 1880s, when the railway line opened. Citrus fruit was grown in the area, and Niagara Park had a large Piggery. In 1912 the Narara section of the Horticultural Research and Advisory Station (NSW Agriculture) was established. Significant development occurred in the post-war years, particularly from the 1960s. The population increased slightly during the 1990s, declined marginally between 2001 and 2006, and then was relatively stable between 2006 and 2011.
Narara - Niagara Park is an established residential area, with rural areas on the western outskirts.
Major features of the area include Niagara Park Shopping Centre, Strickland State Forest, Central Coast Youth Club, Canning Park, Carrington Street Oval, Gavenlock Oval, Karina Drive Playground, Mitchell Park, Narara Crescent Playground, Paddy Clifton Oval, The Duck Pond, Treeline Park, Washington Avenue Playground, Willari Avenue Playground, Wyunda Court Playground, Narara Community Centre and a number of schools.