Holgate - Matcham - Erina Heights
About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Holgate - Matcham - Erina Heights is 2,768, with a population density of 1.37 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Holgate - Matcham - Erina Heights is bounded by Wyong Shire in the north, the suburbs of Wamberal and Terrigal in the east, the suburbs of Erina and Springfield in the south and the localities of Mount Elliot and Lisarow in the west.
Holgate was named after Holgate in North Yorkshire, England. Matcham was named after Charles Horatio Nelson Matcham, an absentee landowner. Erina Heights shares its name origin with "Erina" which is believed to be aboriginal for an object of fear, but applied to a place of initiation.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (20 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1824 around Erina Heights and 1840 around Matcham when the first land grants were made. Early land use revolved around the exploitation of timber. Many sawyers camps dotted the hills and valleys, and the concentration of children at "Mosquito Town" led to the establishment of one of the district's first schools. Later the school relocated, and became today's Erina Heights Public School. Bean farms and citrus orchards provided the main crops grown in Holgate - Matcham - Erina Heights for much of its history. The most significant development occurred in the post-war years, particularly from the 1980s. Rapid growth continued from the early 1990s, with the population almost doubling between 1991 and 2006 as large numbers of new dwellings were added to the area. Growth slowed between 2006 and 2011 as fewer new dwellings were added.
Holgate - Matcham - Erina Heights is a predominantly rural area, with expanding rural-residential areas.
Major features of the area include Katandra Reserve, Wambina Nature Reserve, Paul Oval, Matcham Valley Pony Club, Firecreek Fruit Winery and a number of schools.