About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Kogarah is 5,824, with a population density of 63.22 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Kogarah is bounded by Harrow Road in the north, the Princes Highway and Rocky Point Road in the east, Fitzgerald Avenue, Ercildoune Avenue, Ocean Street, the Princes Highway and English Street in the south, and the railway line in the west.
Kogarah is named from an Aboriginal word meaning "place of reeds".
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (1 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1808 when the first land grant was made. Population was minimal until the 1840s, spurred by improved access and the establishment of market gardens, orchards and vineyards. Rapid growth took place in the 1880s and 1890s, following the opening of the railway line. Significant development occurred during the 1920s and 1950s. The population increased from the early 1990s, with substantial growth between 2001 and 2011, a result of large numbers of new dwellings being added to the area, particularly high density housing, including the Kogarah Town Square redevelopment.
Kogarah is a mixed use area, with residential, commercial and institutional land use.
Major features of the area include the Kogarah Town Centre, St George Hospital, St George Private Hospital, Wesley Hospital Kogarah, Hogben Park, Montgomery Street Reserve, Georges River Council Kogarah Service Centre, the Kogarah railway station and a number of schools.
This area encompasses the Georges River Council area part of the suburb of Kogarah. The remaining part of the suburb of Kogarah is located in the Bayside Council area.