About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Carlton is 7,041, with a population density of 51.31 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Carlton includes two sections: a small section to the north of the railway line, and a larger section to the south of the railway line. The northern section of Carlton is bounded by the suburb of Hurstville in the north, Xenia Avenue in the east, the railway line in the south, and Station Lane and Lily Lane in the west. The southern section of Carlton is bounded by the railway line in the north, English Street in the east, the Princes Highway in the south, and Kogarah Bay Creek, Blakesley Road, Swanns Lane, McPherson Street and Andover Street in the west.
Carlton is thought to be named after a suburb in Nottingham, England.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (1 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1808 when the first land grant was made. Land was used mainly for farming, market gardening and timber-getting. Population was minimal until the 1840s. Expansion took place in the 1880s and 1890s, spurred by the construction of the railway line. Growth continued in the early 1900s, particularly during the 1920s. Some development took place in the interwar period and the immediate post-war years. The population increased gradually from the early 1990s as new dwellings were added to the area, particularly medium and high density housing.
Carlton is an established residential area, with an industrial area in the south-west, and several small commercial areas.
Major features of the area include Kogarah Park, UOW Jubilee Oval (Kogarah Oval), Anglo Square, Buckley Street Reserve, Tilley Reserve, the Carlton railway station and one school.
This area encompasses the part of the suburb of Carlton which is located in the Georges River Council area. The remaining part of the suburb of Carlton is located in the Bayside Council area.