About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Blakehurst is 6,424, with a population density of 28.22 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Blakehurst is bounded generally by Planthurst Road and West Street in the north, the Princes Highway, the southern boundary of Todd Park, the creek and Kogarah Bay in the east, the Georges River in the south, and generally by Waratah Street, Merriman Street, Kyle Parade, Terry Street, Condor Crescent, Terry Street, King Georges Road and Blakesley Road in the west.
Blakehurst is thought to be named after Joseph William George Blake, a road assessor and postmaster.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (2 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1808 when the first land grant was made, with land used mainly for farming and timber getting. Growth was minimal until the 1860s, spurred by improved access. Rapid expansion took place in the 1880s and 1890s, aided by improved access. Significant development occurred during the early 1900s and the interwar period, with some growth in the immediate post-war years. The population generally increased slightly from the early 1990s as small numbers of new dwellings were added to the area.
Blakehurst is an established residential area, with some commercial land use along the Princes Highway.
Major features of the area include Bald Face Point Reserve, Kyle Williams Reserve, Shipwrights Bay Reserve, Centre Street Reserve, Church Street Reserve, Dover Park, East Street Reserve, Raleigh Street Reserve, Stuart Street Reserve, Taunton Street Reserve, Terry Street Reserve, Todd Park, Georges River Bridge (Tom Ugly's Bridge), Tom Ugly's Point, Bald Face Point, Blakehurst Marina, Kogarah Bay Sailing Club and several schools.