About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Allawah is 6,038, with a population density of 98.43 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Allawah is bounded by the railway line in the north, generally by Andover Street, McPherson Street, Swanns Lane, Illawarra Street and Blakesley Road in the east, generally by St Georges Parade and Burraneer Close in the south, and First Avenue and Woids Avenue in the west.
Allawah is named from an Aboriginal word meaning "stay here, rest, sit down".
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (1 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1808 when the first land grant was made. Growth was minimal until the late 1800s and early 1900s. Significant development occurred in the 1920s, spurred by the opening of the railway station. Growth continued in the interwar period and the immediate post-war years. The population increased gradually from the early 1990s as new dwellings were added to the area, particularly high density housing.
Allawah is an established residential area.
Major features of the area include Southern Sydney Synagogue, Augusta Park, Elizabeth Street Reserve, Joy Mead Park, Meade Park, P J Ferry Reserve, the Allawah railway station and one school.