About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Langwarrin is 22,411, with a population density of 7.75 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Langwarrin is bounded by Valley Road and the suburb of Skye in the north, the Dandenong-Hastings Road in the east, Robinsons Road in the south, and the Peninsula Link, the southern edge of Centenary Park and McClelland Drive in the west.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (29 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the 1890s, spurred by the opening of the railway line to Mornington. Land was used mainly for farming and grazing, with some quarries. Land was used as a military reserve between 1886 and 1979. Significant residential development did not occur until the 1960s, with rapid growth from the 1980s. The population increased substantially during the 1990s, with growth continuing at a slower rate between 2001 and 2011, a result of new dwellings continuing to be added to the area.
Langwarrin is a developing residential and rural-residential area, with remaining rural areas, quarries and several small commercial areas.
Major features of the area include The Gateway Shopping Centre, Langwarrin Plaza, Peninsula Private Hospital, Langwarrin Flora and Fauna Reserve, Cruden Farm, Langwarrin Public Hall, McClelland Gallery & Sculpture Park, Langwarrin Equestrian & Recreation Reserve, Little Boggy Creek Reserve, Lloyd Park, Monique Reserve, Pobblebonk Wetland Reserve, Studio Park, Dame Elizabeth Murdoch Arboretum and a number of schools.