City of Belmont
Occupation of employment
There are more professionals in City of Belmont than any other occupation.
City of Belmont's occupation statistics quantify the occupations in which the residents work (which may be within the residing area or elsewhere). This will be influenced by the economic base and employment opportunities available in the area, education levels, and the working and social aspirations of the population. When viewed with other indicators, such as Educational Qualifications and Individual Income, Occupation is a key measure for evaluating City of Belmont's socio-economic status and skill base.
Derived from the two Census questions:
'In the main job held last week, what was the person's occupation?' and 'What are the main tasks that the person himself/herself usually performs in that occupation?'
Persons aged 15 years and over
|Occupation of employment|
|City of Belmont - Total persons (Enumerated)||2011||2006||Change|
|Occupation||Number||%||EMRC area||Number||%||EMRC area||2006 to 2011|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||2,916||16.8||17.1||2,322||16.5||17.0||+594||15003|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||1,658||9.5||9.9||1,296||9.2||9.4||+362||15004|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||2,724||15.7||16.4||2,358||16.7||16.5||+366||15005|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,644||9.5||8.2||1,371||9.7||8.1||+273||15007|
|Total employed persons aged 15+||17,393||100.0||100.0||14,079||100.0||100.0||+3,314|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident population in City of Belmont in 2011 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (3,223 people or 18.5%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (2,916 people or 16.8%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (2,724 people or 15.7%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 8,863 people in total or 51.0% of the employed resident population.
In comparison, EMRC area employed 17.5% in Professionals; 17.1% in Technicians and Trades Workers; and 16.4% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the population of City of Belmont and EMRC area were:
- A larger percentage of persons employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (9.5% compared to 8.2%)
- A larger percentage of persons employed as Professionals (18.5% compared to 17.5%)
- A smaller percentage of persons employed as Sales Workers (8.1% compared to 9.2%)
The number of employed people in City of Belmont increased by 3,314 between 2006 and 2011.
The largest changes in the occupations of residents between 2006 and 2011 in City of Belmont were for those employed as:
- Professionals (+997 persons)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+594 persons)
- Managers (+414 persons)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (+366 persons)