Fannie Bay - East Point
About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Fannie Bay - East Point is 2,836, with a population density of 6.79 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Fannie Bay - East Point is bounded by the Timor Sea foreshore in the north, Douglas Street, Wells Street, Playford Street, Freer Street and Ross Smith Avenue in the east, Goldsmith Street, Holtze Street, Macdonald Street, Gregory Street, Charlotte Street, Stokes Street, Seale Street, Goyder Road, East Point Road and Conacher Street in the south and the Fannie Bay foreshore in the west.
Fannie Bay is thought to be named after Fanny Carandini, a popular opera singer in the late 1800s.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (4 Km2)
persons per hectare
Development of the area dates originally from the late 1800s, but primarily from the 1960s. The Fannie Bay Gaol was in use from 1883 to 1979. During World War II the area was used for gun turrets and as an anchor for the submarine net. In the immediate post-war years the current recreation reserve was used as a golf course. The population declined slightly during the late 1990s, was relatively stable between 2001 and 2006, and then increased marginally between 2006 and 2011.
Fannie Bay - East Point is an established residential area, with a beach and large recreation reserve.
Major features of the area include Fannie Bay Racecourse, Fannie Bay Gaol Museum, Darwin Military Museum, Lake Alexander, Vesteys Lake, Fannie Bay Oval, East Point Recreation Reserve, Aviators Park, Bayview Park, George Park, Lake Alexander Playground, Waratah Oval and Vesteys Beach.