About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Darwin is 5,834, with a population density of 24.88 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Darwin is bounded by Dinah Beach Road in the north, the Frances Bay shoreline in the east, Kitchener Drive, Unincorporated Northern Territory and the Timor Sea shoreline in the south, and Daly Street, Mitchell Street, Packard Place, Dashwood Crescent, Gardens Road, Hood Terrace, the Stuart Highway and Duke Street in the west.
Darwin is named after Charles Darwin, naturalist. It was originally named Palmerston, then became known as Port Darwin, before being officially named Darwin in 1911.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (2 Km2)
persons per hectare
Darwin was originally established in 1869 by South Australia’s Surveyor General, GW Goyder. Goyder surveyed land areas which were 10 miles square, these 100 square mile land blocks were called Goyder’s Hundreds. Over 1,000 half acre allotments were created, set out in a grid pattern surrounding a central square and other parkland. Growth was mostly slow, but at times fitful until the post-war years. Darwin was attacked 64 times during World War II and suffered tremendous damage. Darwin was devastated by Cyclone Tracy in 1974, after which it was significantly rebuilt. The population has increased substantially since the mid 1990s, more than doubling between 1996 and 2011 as large numbers of new dwellings were added to the area, mainly townhouses and high rise units.
Darwin is a mixed use area, including residential, marina, parkland, commercial and wharf uses.
Major features of the area include the Darwin Central Business District, CBD Plaza, Smith Street Mall, Mitchell Centre, Crocosaurus Cove, St Mary’s Star of the Sea Cathedral, Darwin City Council & Civic Centre, Government House, Parliament House, Supreme Court of the Northern Territory, Darwin Theatre Company, Lyons Cottage, Bicentennial Park, Damoe-Ra Park, Duke Street Rainforest Conservation Area, Frog Hollow Park, Liberty Square, Survivor’s Lookout, Lameroo Beach, Fishermans Wharf and one school.
This small area encompasses part of the locality of Darwin City. The southern part of the locality of Darwin City is located in Unincorporated Northern Territory.