The three largest ancestries in Fairfield in 2011 were English, Australian, and Irish.
Ancestry defines the cultural association and ethnic background of an individual going back three generations. Ancestry is a good measure of the total size of cultural groups in Fairfield regardless of where they were born or what language they speak.
Derived from the Census question:
'What is the person's ancestry?'
|Ancestry - ranked by size|
|Ancestry||Number||%||City of Darebin %||Number||%||City of Darebin %||2006 to 2011|
|Show me more!|
|Ancestry - totals|
|Ancestry totals||Number||%||City of Darebin %||Number||%||City of Darebin %||2006 to 2011|
Analysis of the ancestry responses of the population in Fairfield in 2011 shows that the top five ancestries nominated were:
- English (1,486 people or 28.5%)
- Australian (1,422 people or 27.3%)
- Irish (663 people or 12.7%)
- Italian (567 people or 10.9%)
- Greek (544 people or 10.5%)
In combination these five ancestries account for 4,682 responses in total, or 89.96% of all responses.
The major differences between the ancestries of the population in Fairfield and the City of Darebin were:
- A larger percentage of people with English ancestry (28.5% compared to 20.8%)
- A larger percentage of people with Australian ancestry (27.3% compared to 21.3%)
- A larger percentage of people with Irish ancestry (12.7% compared to 9.3%)
- A smaller percentage of people with Italian ancestry (10.9% compared to 14.7%)
The largest changes in the reported ancestries of the population in this area between 2006 and 2011 were:
- English (+261 persons)
- Scottish (+126 persons)
- Irish (+62 persons)
- Indian (+54 persons)