former Bankstown City
About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for former Bankstown City is 204,976, with a population density of 26.68 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
The former Bankstown City is located in Sydney’s south-western suburbs, between 13 and 23 kilometres south-west of the Sydney GPO. The former Bankstown City is bounded by the Cumberland Council area and the Strathfield Council area in the north, the former Canterbury City and the Georges River Council area in the east, Sutherland Shire in the south, Liverpool City in the south-west, and Fairfield City in the north-west. The former City's boundaries are the Prospect water supply pipeline in the north, Roberts Road, Juno Parade, Koala Road, Punchbowl Road, Canterbury Road and Salt Pan Creek in the east, the Georges River in the south, and the Georges River, Prospect Creek, the Hume Highway and Woodville Road in the west.
The former Bankstown City is named in honour of Sir Joseph Banks, the botanist.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (77 Km2)
persons per hectare
European settlement dates from 1798 when the first land grants were made to marines, free settlers and convicts. Development increased after the Great South Road (today’s Hume Highway) was completed in 1814. Land was used mainly for timber-getting, farming and market gardening, with the population numbering 1,000 up until the 1890s. Population increased with the coming of the railway, which was extended from Belmore in 1909. The opening of the line to Lidcombe in 1928 and to East Hills in 1931 stimulated significant development, with 22,000 residential lots released between 1920 and 1930. Growth took place particularly in areas around the Bankstown CBD and in the northern areas. By 1939, the population had reached 28,000. During World War 2, significant aircraft and armaments operations were established at Bankstown Airport and Villawood. Industrial development boomed in the post-war years, providing jobs for the many new residents who were moving to the area. Between 1948 and 1954, the population increased by around 10,000 per year, growing from about 43,000 to 102,000. By 1961, the population numbered over 151,000. The population increased gradually from the 1990s, rising from about 154,000 in 1991 to about 182,000 in 2011. Growth in recent years has largely been from infill development (medium density housing) and town centre development.
The former Bankstown City is a residential, commercial and industrial area. The former City encompasses a total land area of 77 square kilometres.
The former Bankstown City is served by the South Western Motorway, the Hume Highway, Bankstown Airport, and the Bankstown and East Hills railway lines.
Major features of the former City include Georges River National Park, Deepwater Park, Mirambeena Regional Park, the Georges River, the Bankstown CBD, Bankstown Central Shopping Centre, TAFE NSW South Western Sydney Institute (Bankstown, Chullora and Padstow Colleges), Western Sydney University (Bankstown Campus), Potts Hill Reservoirs, Bankstown City Gardens (Memorial Gardens), East Hills Park, Maluga Passive Park, Dunc Gray Velodrome, Bankstown Paceway, The Crest Sporting Complex, Georges River Golf Course, Bankstown Golf Club, Australian Aviation Museum and Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital.
The original inhabitants of the former Bankstown City were the Gweagal, Bidjigal and Dharug Aboriginal people.
The former Bankstown City includes the suburbs of Bankstown, Bankstown Aerodrome, Bass Hill, Birrong, Chester Hill (part), Chullora (part), Condell Park, East Hills, Georges Hall, Greenacre (part), Lansdowne, Milperra, Mount Lewis, Padstow, Padstow Heights, Panania, Picnic Point, Potts Hill, Punchbowl (part), Regents Park (part), Revesby, Revesby Heights, Sefton, Villawood (part) and Yagoona.