Colac - East
About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Colac - East is 2,724, with a population density of 3.16 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Colac - East is bounded by Lake Colac in the north, Colac-Ballarat Road, Drapers Road and Colac-Forrest Road in the east, Barongarook Creek, Forest Street and Pound Road in the south, and Queen Street, Wallace Street and Barongarook Creek in the west.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (9 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1837 when the first pastoralists arrived and set up camp on the banks of the Barongarook Creek. Growth was slow until the 1870s, spurred by the opening of the Princes Highway and the railway line, and the subdivision of large estates. The City developed around the highway, with many people building close to the lake's edge. The most significant population growth occurred in the post-war years, particularly between 1947 and 1961. In the 1970s industrial growth occurred, along with some residential subdivision around the eastern side of the lake. The population was relatively stable between 1991 and 2006, and then increased between 2006 and 2011 as new dwellings were added to the area, particularly in the Glengowan estate.
Colac - East is a mixed use area, with residential land use in the northern section, industrial land use in the eastern section, and rural land use in the southern section.
Major features of the area include Lake Colac Bird Sanctuary, Colac Showgrounds, Colac Tennis Tournament Club, Eastern Reserve, Glengowan Estate Open Space, Hugh Murray Reserve, Selwyn Brown Park, Lake Colac Foreshore and one school.
Colac - East encompasses the eastern part of the locality of Colac, and the locality of Colac East.