Pennington - Woodville North - Athol Park
About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Pennington - Woodville North - Athol Park is 8,761, with a population density of 20.72 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Pennington - Woodville North - Athol Park is bounded by Grand Junction Road in the north, Hanson Road in the east, Torrens Road in the south, and Pennington Terrace, Eastbourne Terrace, Hennessey Terrace and Addison Road in the west.
Pennington is named after Helen Pennington, the wife of Alfred Hodgeman, who subdivided the area in 1909. Athol Park is thought to be named after Athol Farm.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (4 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the 1870s. Growth took place during the interwar period, when many homes were constructed in Pennington under the Thousand Homes Scheme for returned World War 1 soldiers. Development continued during the post-war period. The population increased gradually between 1991 and 2011, largely a result of new dwellings being added to the area. This increase included the Westwood Urban Renewal project in the 1990s, which involved the replacement of many housing trust homes in Athol Park with private housing or new townhouse-style housing trust homes.
Pennington - Woodville North - Athol Park is an established residential and industrial area.
Major features of the area include Fawk Reserve, Pennington Oval, Pennington Reserve, Railway Reserve, Sinclair Square, Sparrow Reserve, The Avenue Reserve, Woodville North Hall and several schools.