Brompton and District
About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Brompton and District is 4,600, with a population density of 18.03 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Brompton & District is bounded by Torrens Road in the north, Park Terrace in the east, the River Torrens in the south, and South Road, the railway line, Wood Avenue, Hawker Street and Blight Street in the west.
Brompton is named after a village in Yorkshire, England.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (3 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1838 when Governor Hindmarsh purchased what is now the suburb of Hindmarsh. Hindmarsh developed as South Australia’s first secondary town. Gradual growth took place from the mid to late 1800s. More substantial development occurred during the 1960s and 1970s. The population increased gradually between 1991 and 2011, a result of new dwellings being added to the area, including redevelopment on the former Rowley Park Speedway on Torrens Road in Brompton.
Brompton & District is an established residential area, with some industrial, commercial and entertainment land uses, particularly around Port Road.
Major features of the area include Hindmarsh Stadium, Adelaide Entertainment Centre, Holden Street Theatres, Hindmarsh Fire & Folk Museum, Boucatt Reserve, Brompton Green Reserve, Gibson Street Reserve, Ivan Franko Reserve, John Hindmarsh Reserve, Josiah Mitton Reserve, Kiln Reserve, Langman Reserve, McDonnell Reserve, Parfitt Square, Thomas Harkness Reserve and several schools.
Brompton & District encompasses the suburbs of Bowden, Brompton, Hindmarsh and Ovingham (part). Part of the locality of Ovingham is located in the City of Prospect.