City of Charles Sturt
About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for the City of Charles Sturt is 114,688, with a population density of 20.61 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
The City of Charles Sturt is located in Adelaide's north-western suburbs, between 3 and 14 kilometres from the Adelaide GPO. The City of Charles Sturt is bounded by the City of Port Adelaide Enfield in the north, the Cities of Prospect and Adelaide in the east, the City of West Torrens in the south, and Gulf St Vincent in the west. The City's boundaries are Bower Road, Old Port Road, Port Road, Earle Avenue, Fifth Avenue, Seventh Avenue, Durham Terrace, Hennessy Terrace, Addison Road and Grand Junction Road in the north, Hanson Road, First Avenue, Hassell Street, Goodall Avenue, Torrens Road, Lamont Street, Harrison Road, Bolton Avenue, Alexander Avenue, the Gawler railway line and Park Terrace in the east, and the River Torrens (including its old course), Everest Street, Burnley Street, Cambridge Avenue and Rio Vista Avenue in the south.
The City of Charles Sturt is named after Captain Charles Sturt, the explorer.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (56 Km2)
persons per hectare
European settlement dates from 1838 when Governor John Hindmarsh purchased what is now the suburb of Hindmarsh. Hindmarsh developed as South Australia's first secondary town. Land was used mainly for market gardening, farming and sand and gravel mining. Gradual growth took place, aided by the development of Port Road and the opening of the railway line to Port Adelaide in 1856. Many areas were opened up with the land boom of the 1870s and 1880s, with growth resuming during the interwar period. Significant residential and industrial development took place during the post-war years, continuing through to the 1970s. The population declined marginally during the early 1990s, falling from about 101,000 in 1991 to about 99,000 in 1996. The population was relatively stable between 1996 and 2006, and then increased slightly to 104,000 in 2011.
The City of Charles Sturt is an established residential, commercial and industrial area. The City encompasses a total land area of about 56 square kilometres.
The City is served by the South Highway and the Grange and Outer Harbor railway lines.
Major features of the City include Adelaide Arena, Adelaide Entertainment Centre, Hindmarsh Stadium, AAMI Stadium, The Grange Golf Club, The Royal Adelaide Golf Club, West Lakes Golf Club, The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Fort Glanville Conservation Park, Fort Glanville, Charles Sturt Museum, Westlakes Aquatic Centre, Centro Arndale Shopping Centre, Westfield West Lakes Shopping Centre, River Torrens Linear Park, Gulf St Vincent coastline, the River Torrens, Boating Lake and various beaches.
The original inhabitants of the Charles Sturt area were the Kaurna Aboriginal people.
The City of Charles Sturt includes the suburbs of Albert Park, Allenby Gardens, Athol Park, Beverley, Bowden, Brompton, Cheltenham, Croydon, Devon Park (part), Findon, Flinders Park, Fulham Gardens, Grange, Hendon, Henley Beach, Henley Beach South, Hindmarsh, Kidman Park, Kilkenny, Ovingham (part), Pennington, Renown Park, Ridleyton, Royal Park, Seaton, Semaphore Park, St Clair, Tennyson, Welland, West Beach (part), West Croydon, West Hindmarsh, West Lakes, West Lakes Shore, Woodville, Woodville North, Woodville Park, Woodville South and Woodville West.