Ulverstone - Gawler
About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Ulverstone - Gawler is 7,254, with a population density of 1.31 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Ulverstone - Gawler is bounded by Bass Strait in the north, the Bass Highway and the localities of Turners Beach, Forth and Abbotsham in the east, the locality of Sprent, the East Gawler River and the locality of Preston in the south, and the locality of North Motton, the Gawler River and the Leven River in the west.
Ulverstone is named after the town of Ulverston in the English Lake District. It was originally known as Badger Plains. Gawler is named after Governor Gawler of South Australia.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (55 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1839, with land used mainly for cropping and forestry, with some grazing. Population was minimal until the 1850s when the first land sales were made. More substantial growth took place from 1890 into the early 1900s, spurred by the opening of the railway line to Launceston and port/wharf activities. Significant residential development occurred from the 1950s to the 1970s. The population declined slightly from the early 1990s, a result of some new dwellings being added to the area, but a decline in the average number of persons living in each dwelling.
Ulverstone - Gawler encompasses a township and village (residential, industrial and commercial land use) and rural areas in the east and south. Rural land is used largely for agriculture, particularly dairy farming, poultry farming and vegetable growing.
Major features of the area include Ulverstone Local History Museum, Ulverstone Outdoor Entertainment Centre, Ulverstone Wharf, Ulverstone Water Slide, Ulverstone Miniature Railway, Anzac Park, Bicentennial Park, Fairway Park, Haywoods Reserve, Henslowes Park, Lions Park, Buttons Beach, Shrine of Remembrance Clock Tower, Wilsonia Training Track, Lake Isandula, various state forests, the Leven River and numerous schools.