Penguin - Sulphur Creek - Heybridge
About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Penguin - Sulphur Creek - Heybridge is 5,177, with a population density of 0.81 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Penguin - Sulphur Creek - Heybridge is bounded by Bass Strait in the north, the locality of West Ulverstone in the east, the localities of North Motton and Riana in the south, and the localities of West Pine and Cuprona and the Blythe River in the west.
Penguin was named for the fairy penguin rookeries that were once common along the coastline.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (64 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from largely from the early 1860s. Land was used mainly for farming and timber-getting, with some mining. Growth took place during the late 1800s, particularly in Penguin, aided by the establishment of a wharf in 1872. The role of Penguin as a port declined in the early 1900s when the railway line was built. The most significant residential development took place between the 1950s and the 1970s. The population fluctuated slightly during the 1990s, and then increased slightly from 2001 to 2011, a result of new dwellings being added to the area.
Penguin - Sulphur Creek - Heybridge is a rural and rural-residential area, with a township at Penguin and villages at Heybridge and Sulphur Creek. Rural land is used largely for forestry and farming, particularly vegetable growing and dairying.
Major features of the area include the Penguin Viewing Platform, Perry-Ling Gardens, Penguin Golf Club, Dial Range, Ferndene Picnic Ground, Coroneagh Park, Dykes Reserve, Hiscutt Park, Max Perry Reserve, Penguin Lions Park, Penguin Sports Complex, The Big Penguin, Johnsons Beach, Penguin Beach, Watcombe Beach, Three Sisters - Goat Island Nature Reserve, Penguin Miniature Railway and several schools.
This small area encompasses the localities of Heybridge (part), Howth, Penguin, Preservation Bay and Sulphur Creek. Part of the locality of Heybridge is located in Burnie City.