East Gosford - Point Frederick
About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for East Gosford - Point Frederick is 6,188, with a population density of 23.79 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
East Gosford - Point Frederick is bounded by the suburb of Springfield in the north, Coburg Street and the suburb of Springfield in the east, Brisbane Water in the south, and Broad Water, Masons Parade, Henry Parry Drive and the suburb of Gosford in the west.
East Gosford is named for the area east of Gosford, which is believed to have been named after the Archibald Acheson, 2nd Earl of Gosford (1776-1849), whom NSW Governor Gipps served with in Canada. Point Frederick is named after Frederick Augustus Hely, Chief Superintendent of Convicts for NSW.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (3 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the late 1830s when the private township of East Gosford was proposed by landowner Samuel Peek. Though the 1840s Depression and other economic factors severely limited growth of the town, the street layout of East Gosford is basically that shown on the early surveys. Small numbers of dairy cattle grazed around the area into the 1920s. Growth took place during the early 1900s, when many orchards were subdivided and houses were built. Significant development occurred in the post-war years, particularly from the 1960s. The population increased gradually from the early 1990s as new dwellings were added to the area, particularly medium density housing.
East Gosford - Point Frederick is an established residential area, with some commercial land use along Victoria Street.
Major features of the area include Gosford Regional Gallery and Arts Centre, Erina Creek Wetlands, Edogawa Commemorative Garden, Elizabeth Ross Park, GC Newman Memorial Park, Hargraves Park, Hylton Moore Park, Peace Park, Phyllis Bennett Reserve, Pioneer Park, Point Frederick Cemetery, East Gosford Progress Hall, St Edward’s Christian Brothers’ College, St Joseph’s Catholic College, Gosford East Public School and St Patrick’s Catholic Primary School.