About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Camden is 3,292, with a population density of 7.40 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Camden is bounded by the Nepean River in the north and east, the Camden Bypass and Burragorang Road in the south, and the localities of Cawdor and Grasmere and Matahil Creek in the west.
Camden is named after Lord Camden, former Secretary of State for War and the Colonies. It was originally known as Cowpastures.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (4 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1805 when John Macarthur was granted 5,000 acres of land for sheep breeding. Camden is the original settlement in the Camden Council area. The first allotments in the township were offered for sale in 1840. Growth took place in the 1880s, aided by the construction of the railway line. Significant development occurred during the post-war years. The population declined slightly during the 1990s, and then increased slightly between 2001 and 2011 as new dwellings were added to the area.
Camden is a residential area, with commercial areas along Argyle Street, and outlying rural areas.
Major features of the area include the Nepean River, the Camden Central Business District, Camden Central Shopping Centre, Camden Bicentennial Equestrian Park, Camden Hospital, Council Offices, The Camden Town Farm, Belgenny Reserve, Camden Apex Reserve, Don Moon Memorial Reserve, Engesta Reserve, Jack Gregory Field, Kings Bush Reserve, Macarthur Park, Onslow Park (Camden Showground), Pindari Reserve, Rotary Cowpasture Reserve, Starr Reserve, Camden Weir, the Nepean River Cycleway and several schools.