Hemmant - Lytton - Moreton Island
About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Hemmant - Lytton - Moreton Island is 3,061, with a population density of 0.15 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Hemmant - Lytton - Moreton Island includes a mainland section and an offshore section. The mainland section is bounded by Moreton Bay in the north, Wynnum North Road, Pritchard Street, the Cleveland railway line, Sandy Camp Road, North Road, Kianawah Road and Wynnum Road in the east, Fleming Road in the south, and Bulimba Creek, Aquarium Passage and the Brisbane River in the west. The offshore section encompasses Green Island, Moreton Island, Mud Island and St Helena Island.
Hemmant is named after William Hemmant, politician and Agent-General, Colonial Treasurer 1874-1876. Lytton is thought to be named after Edward George Erle Bulwer Lytton, Secretary of State for the Colonies 1858-1859. Moreton Island is named after Moreton Bay, which was named after James Douglas, the Earl of Morton.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (199 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the 1840s, when porting activities were established on the mainland. Land was used mainly for crop farming, grazing and fishing, and later for dairy farming. Fort Lytton was built in 1870 as a defence against feared Russian attacks. Growth took place in the late 1800s and early 1900s, aided by the construction of a bridge over Bulimba Creek in 1870, and the development of port activities. St Helena Island was used as a prison and detention centre from 1867 to 1933. Moreton Island was used for small scale sand mining from 1947 to 1992, with a whale processing plant between 1952 and 1962. This site was then developed into the Tangalooma Resort. The most significant residential development occurred during the post-war years, accompanied by industrial growth. An oil refinery was built in 1963 on land previously used for the fort. The population has increased since the early 1990s, a result of new dwellings being added to the area.
Hemmant - Lytton - Moreton Island is an industrial, rural and growing residential area.
Major features of the area include the Port of Brisbane, Moreton Island, Moreton Island National Park, Moreton Bay Marine Park, Fort Lytton National Park, Mud Island Conservation Park, St Helena Island National Park, Caltex Oil Refinery, Fort Lytton Motocross Track and one school.
This small area includes the localities of Green Island, Hemmant, Lytton, Moreton Island, Mud Island, Port of Brisbane and St Helena Island.