About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Dutton Park is 1,754, with a population density of 19.58 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Dutton Park is bounded by the railway line in the north and east, Cornwall Street, Fairfield Road and Princess Street in the south, and the Brisbane River, High Street, Bower Street, Gladstone Road, Wahcumba Street, Park Road West and Deighton Road in the west.
Dutton Park is named after Charles Boydell Dutton, former Queensland Secretary for Public Lands.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (1 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the 1860s. The Boggo Road Jail operated from 1883 till 1989. Residential growth took place in the late 1800s and early 1900s, aided by the construction of the railway line and tramline. The most significant development occurred during the post-war years. The population declined during the 1990s, and then increased marginally between 2001 and 2006, largely a result of an increase in occupied dwellings. Population growth is expected in the future, particularly from the Boggo Road Urban Village, a residential, retail, commercial and recreational development on the former jail site.
Dutton Park is a predominantly residential area.
Major features of the area include Dutton Park, South Brisbane Cemetery, Prison Museum and two schools.