About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Yeerongpilly is 3,312, with a population density of 12.32 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Yeerongpilly is bounded by the Brisbane River, a line running east-west to the south of Ortive Street, the Beenleigh railway line and School Road in the north, Ipswich Road, Moolabin Creek and the Beenleigh railway line in the east, Rocky Waterholes Creek, the Brisbane Golf Club and Curzon Street in the south, and the Beenleigh railway line and the Brisbane River in the west.
Yeerongpilly is named from an Aboriginal words thought to mean "sandy gully or watercourse" or "rain coming".
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (3 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the 1850s, with land used mainly for timber-getting and crop farming. Population was minimal until the 1880s, spurred by the opening of the railway line. Expansion continued during the early 1900s, with some industrial development in the interwar period. Tennyson Power Station was opened in 1953 and closed in 1986. Significant development occurred during the post-war years. The population has increased slightly since the early 1990s, a result of new dwellings being added to the area. Growth is expected in the future, particularly from the Tennyson Riverside Development.
Yeerongpilly is a residential, industrial and recreational area.
Major features of the area include Brisbane Golf Club, State Tennis Centre and St Josephs College Terrace Playing Fields.
This small area includes the suburb of Yeerongpilly and most of the locality of Tennyson.