Mount Gravatt East
About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Mount Gravatt East is 11,997, with a population density of 25.90 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Mount Gravatt East is bounded by Pine Mountain Road in the north, Creek Road and Newnham Road in the east, Broadwater Road in the south, and Logan Road, Nursery Road and Bassett Street in the west.
Mount Gravatt East is named for the area east of Mount Gravatt, which was named after Lieutenant George Gravatt, Commandant at Moreton Bay Penal Settlement in 1839.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (5 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the 1860s, with land used for grazing, fruit growing and general farming. Growth took place in the 1880s and 1890s. Significant development occurred during the post-war years, aided by public housing construction. Rapid growth took place from the late 1940s to the late 1960s. The population has increased slightly since the early 1990s, a result of new dwellings being added to the area.
Mount Gravatt East is an established residential area, with a quarry in the north, and some commercial areas.
Major features of the area include Metropolitan South Institute of TAFE (Mount Gravatt Campus), SkillsTech Australia (Mount Gravatt Campus), Central Fair Shopping Centre, Metropol Shopping Centre, Mount Gravatt Plaza Shopping Centre, Mount Gravatt Homemaker Centre, Mount Thompson Crematorium & Memorial Gardens, Chester Park Reserve and two schools.