About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Kew is 26,214, with a population density of 24.88 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Kew is bounded by the Yarra River, a line that runs parallel south of Willsmere Road, a line that runs east-west to the north of Earl Street and Asquith Street, a line that runs north-south to the west of Belford Road, High Street and Harp Road in the north, Burke Road in the east, Barkers Road in the south, and the Yarra River in the west.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (11 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1840, with land used mainly for grazing and farming. Population was minimal until the 1860s, aided by improved access. Further growth took place in the 1880s, spurred by the opening of the railway line. Significant development occurred during the interwar period. Further growth took place during the post-war years, particularly in the outlying areas. The population and dwelling stock have increased slightly since the early 1990s.
Kew is an established residential area, with some commercial areas and substantial parklands.
Major features of the area include the High Street retail area, Studley Park, Studley Park Boathouse, Yarra Bend Park, the Outer Circle Trail, Villa Alba Museum, Kew Recreation Centre, Royal Talbot Rehabilitation Centre, St Georges Hospital, Cotham Private Hospital, Caritas Christi Hospice, Boroondara (Kew) Cemetery, Victoria Park, Kew Cricket Ground, Kew Traffic School, Studley Park Golf Course, Alexandra Gardens, Eglinton Reserve, Foley Park, Kellet Reserve, Petrie Square, Reservoir Reserve, Kew Neighbourhood Learning Centre, the Yarra River, Carey Baptist Grammar School, Genazzano FCJ College, Methodist Ladies College, Ruyton Girls School, Trinity Grammar School, Xavier College and a number of other schools.