Benalla (South West)
About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Benalla (South West) is 3,163, with a population density of 7.86 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Benalla (South West) is bounded by Bridge Street in the north, the Broken River in the east, Olivers Road, Grant Drive and Evan James Drive in the south and Midland Highway, Gunns Lane and Hume Highway in the west.
Benalla is named after an Aboriginal tribe who once inhabited the area.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (4 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement the area dates from 1836, although growth was generally slow until the post-war period. The town was first surveyed in 1839, then again in 1848. Pastoralists began setting up sheep and cattle stations along the Broken River in the 1840s, using the land mainly for wheat growing, orchards, vines and grazing. The township of Benalla developed in the 1850s and 1860s, particularly in this section west of the river. Population growth slowed from the 1870s when the railway station was built on the eastern side of the river. Significant growth occurred in the 1960s and 1970s. The population increased marginally from the early 1990s, a result of new dwellings being added to the area.
Benalla (South West) is a mainly residential area, with rural-residential areas in the south-eastern area, nearest the river.
Major features of the area include Churchill Memorial Reserve, Benalla Showground and one school.
Benalla (South West) is the south-western part of the urban section of the locality of Benalla.