Benalla (North West)
About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Benalla (North West) is 1,831, with a population density of 7.33 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Benalla (North West) is bounded by Goomalibee Road and Faithful Street in the north, the Broken River in the north-east and east, Bridge Street in the south and a line running north-south from Goomalibee Road to Bridge Street in the west.
Benalla is named after an Aboriginal tribe who once inhabited the area.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (2 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1836, although growth was generally slow until the post-war period. The town was first surveyed in 1839, then again in 1848. Pastoralists began setting up sheep and cattle stations along the Broken River in the 1840s, using the land mainly for wheat growing, orchards, vines and grazing. The township of Benalla developed in the 1850s and 1860s, particularly in this section west of the river. Population growth slowed from the 1870s when the railway station was built on the eastern side of the river. Significant growth occurred in the 1960s and 1970s. The population declined marginally from the mid 1990s, a result of few new dwellings being added to the area and a decline in the average number of persons living in each dwelling.
Benalla (North West) is a mainly residential area.
Major features of the area include Lake Benalla, Benalla Botanical Gardens (including The Rose Garden), Benalla Art Gallery, Benalla Gardens Oval, School Plantation and a number of schools.
Benalla (North West) is the north-western part of the urban section of the locality of Benalla.