About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Black Rock is 6,609, with a population density of 20.61 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Black Rock is bounded by Edward Street, Bluff Road, Tulip Street, Sandringham Golf Links and Cheltenham Road in the north, Reserve Road, Royal Melbourne Golf Club, Fairleigh Avenue, Iluka Street, Keating Street, Fifth Street and McGregor Avenue in the east, and the Port Phillip Bay foreshore in the south and west.
Black Rock is named after an early property in the area, which was named after a place in Dublin.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (3 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the 1850s, although population was minimal until the 1860s. Growth took place during the late 1800s, aided by the extension of the railway line to Sandringham in 1887. Yachting was hosted in Half Moon Bay from the 1890s, with the Black Rock Yacht Club formed in 1919. A rock breakwater was constructed and the hull of the colonial naval vessel HMVS Cerberus was added for further protection of the boat haven in 1926. Significant development occurred from the post-war years. The population increased slightly from the early 1990s, largely a result of new dwellings being added to the area.
Black Rock is an established residential area, with some commercial land use.
Major features of the area include Royal Melbourne Golf Club, HMVS Cerberus, Black Rock Beach, Black Rock Yacht Club, Half Moon Bay, Red Bluff, Quiet Corner, Black Rock Gardens, F G Tricks Reserve, Black Rock Shopping Centre, the Port Phillip Bay foreshore and two schools.