About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Wonthaggi District is 8,414, with a population density of 1.32 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Wonthaggi District is bounded by the Powlett River in the north, the locality of St Clair, Heslop Road, Korumburra-Wonthaggi Road, the localities of St Clair and Inverloch, the Bass Highway and Boundary Road in the east, the localities of Cape Paterson and Harmers Haven in the south, and Bass Strait, Lower Powlett Road, White Road and Loch-Wonthaggi Road in the west.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (64 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the 1830s, although population was minimal until the 1850s when the township of Wonthaggi developed as a result of coal mining. Growth took place during the early 1900s, with the State Coal Mine established in 1909. The township grew rapidly, due mainly to mining and the construction of the railway line. Mining continued until 1968. The population increased slightly during the 1990s, and then was relatively stable between 2001 and 2011, a result of little change in dwelling stock and the average number of persons living in each dwelling.
Wonthaggi District encompasses the township of Wonthaggi (residential, commercial and industrial land use) and surrounding rural areas. Rural land is used largely for beef and dairy farming.
Major features of the area include the Wonthaggi township, Chisholm Institute of TAFE (Bass Coast Campus), Wonthaggi State Coal Mine Heritage Area, Bass Coast Regional Health, Wonthaggi Golf Club, Wonthaggi Aquatic & Leisure Centre, McLeod Reserve, McMahon Reserve, North School Wild Flowers Reserve, Wetlands Reserve, Wonthaggi Apex Park, Wonthaggi Recreation Reserve, Wonthaggi Rifle Range, Wonthaggi Cemetery, Bass Coast Rail Trail and a number of schools.
Wonthaggi District includes the localities of North Wonthaggi, South Dudley and Wonthaggi.