Wonthaggi - Cape Paterson
About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Wonthaggi - Cape Paterson is 6,268, with a population density of 0.87 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Wonthaggi - Cape Paterson is bounded by Lower Powlett Road, White Road, Benetti Road, Korumburra Road and the locality of St Clair in the north, the locality of Inverloch, the Bass Highway, Boundary Road, the locality of Inverloch and Struan Road in the east, and Bass Strait in the south and west.
Wonthaggi is thought to be named from an Aboriginal word meaning "home" or "to pull along".
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (72 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the 1830s, although population was minimal until the 1850s when the township of Wonthaggi developed as a result of coal mining. Growth took place during the early 1900s, with the State Coal Mine established in 1909. The township grew rapidly, largely due to mining and the construction of the railway line. Mining continued until 1968. The population increased from the mid 1990s, a result of new dwellings being added to the area.
Wonthaggi - Cape Paterson encompasses the township of Wonthaggi (residential, commercial and industrial land use), the small township of Cape Paterson, and surrounding rural areas. Rural land is used largely for beef and dairy farming.
Major features of the area include the Wonthaggi township, Chisholm Institute of TAFE (Bass Coast Campus), Wonthaggi State Coal Mine Heritage Area, Bass Coast Regional Health, Wonthaggi Golf Club, Wonthaggi Aquatic & Leisure Centre, McLeod Reserve, McMahon Reserve, North School Wild Flowers Reserve, Wetlands Reserve, Wonthaggi Apex Park, Wonthaggi Guide Park, Wonthaggi Recreation Reserve, Wonthaggi Rifle Range, Wonthaggi Cemetery, Bass Coast Rail Trail and a number of schools.
Wonthaggi - Cape Paterson includes the localities of Cape Paterson, Harmers Haven, South Dudley and Wonthaggi.