Inverloch - Pound Creek
About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Inverloch - Pound Creek is 5,279, with a population density of 0.52 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Inverloch - Pound Creek is bounded by the locality of Wattle Bank, Lynnes Road and the locality of Outtrim in the north, Stuchberry Road, the Bass Highway, Pound Creek Road, Inverloch-Venus Bay Road and Pound Creek in the east, Bass Strait in the south, and Struan Road, the locality of Cape Paterson, Boundary Road, the Bass Highway and the locality of Wonthaggi in the west.
Inverloch is named after Loch Inver in Scotland (Gaelic words meaning "lake entrance"). It was originally known as Andersons Inlet.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (101 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1835, with land used mainly for cattle grazing. Population was minimal until the 1870s when land was opened up for selection. Growth continued during the late 1800s, aided by the construction of the railway line. From 1900 to 1910 Inverloch was a port for the shipment of black coal from Wonthaggi to Melbourne. Significant development occurred from the 1940s, particularly from the 1970s. The population increased substantially during the 1990s, declined slightly between 2001 and 2006 as dwelling occupancy rates declined, and then increased again between 2006 and 2011 as new dwellings were added to the area and occupancy rates increased.
Inverloch - Pound Creek includes the township of Inverloch (residential, commercial and industrial land use) and surrounding rural areas. Rural land is used largely for dairy farming and sheep grazing.
Major features of the area include the Inverloch township, Bunurong Marine National Park, Bunurong Environment Centre & Shell Museum, Inverloch Community Hub, Inverloch Oval, Inverloch Rotary Park, Rainbow Park, several beaches and one school.
Inverloch - Pound Creek encompasses the Bass Coast Shire parts of the localities of Inverloch and Pound Creek, with the other parts of these localities being located in South Gippsland Shire.