About the profile areas
The 2011 population for Bankstown is 34,291, with a population density of 47.53 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Bankstown is bounded by Glassop Street, Brancourt Avenue, the Hume Highway and Rookwood Road in the north, Stacey Street, Old Kent Road, Hillcrest Avenue, Wattle Street, Carrisbrook Avenue, South Terrace, Scott Street, Columbine Avenue and Daphne Avenue in the east, Stacey Street, Boxley Crescent, Stacey Street, Canterbury Road, Short Street, Canterbury Road and Claribel Street in the south, and Gallipoli Street, Clarence Street, Marion Street and Cantrell Street in the west.
Bankstown is named in honour of Sir Joseph Banks, the botanist.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (6 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the early 1800s. Population was minimal until the construction of the Great South Road (Hume Highway) in 1814. Land was used mainly for timber-getting, farming and market gardening. Expansion took place in the late 1800s and early 1900s, spurred by the construction of railway lines. Rapid growth took place during the 1920s and early 1930s. Significant development occurred during the immediate post-war years. The population increased substantially from the early 1990s, a result of large numbers of new dwellings being added to the area. Growth in recent years has largely been from infill (medium and high density) and town centre/CBD development.
Bankstown is an established residential and commercial area, with an industrial area in the south.
Major features of the area include the Bankstown CBD, Centro Bankstown (shopping centre), Homemaker City, TAFE NSW South Western Sydney Institute (Bankstown College), Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital, Bankstown Arts Centre, Council offices, Bankstown City Gardens (Memorial Park), Ruse Park, Bankstown City Sports Complex, Alice Reserve, Apex Park, Archer Crescent Park, Cos Egan Reserve, Court House Reserve, Dorothy Park, Gardenia Avenue Reserve, Griffith Park, Maxwell Reserve, McLeod Reserve & Friendship Gardens, Paul Keating Park, R M Campbell Park, Rotary International Garden, Thella Kenway Reserve, Stevens Reserve, Wood Park and numerous schools.