Upper North Adelaide
About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Upper North Adelaide is 4,901, with a population density of 34.95 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Upper North Adelaide is bounded by Barton Terrace East, O’Connell Street and Barton Terrace West in the north, Lefevre Terrace in the east, Brougham Place, Palmer Place, Montefiore Place and Strangways Terrace in the south, and Mills Terrace in the west.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (1 Km2)
persons per hectare
North Adelaide was laid out by Colonel Light in 1837 as an urban satellite with 341 acre blocks surrounded by the Park Lands. Upper North Adelaide quickly developed as a dormitory suburb for the social elite, with large mansions built by wealthy business and professional men. A burgeoning colonial middle class also chose to live in North Adelaide, their villas and terraces endowing the suburb with much of its distinctive Victorian architecture. Areas such as Hill and Margaret Streets are typical of the early mansions of Upper North Adelaide, while the Childers East and Tynte Street areas are examples of higher density residential development. Rapid development took place in the late 1800s, continuing into the early 1900s. The population declined from the late 1940s, with gradual growth from the 1970s. The population declined slightly during the 1990s, was relatively stable between 2001 and 2006, and then increased slightly between 2006 and 2011.
Upper North Adelaide is a residential and educational area.
Major features of the area include the commercial area along O’Connell Street, Wellington Square, Palmer Gardens/Pangki Pangki, Calvary North Adelaide Hospital, Aquinas College, Australian Lutheran College, Lincoln College, St Dominic’s Priory College and North Adelaide Primary School.
Upper North Adelaide encompasses most of the western part of the suburb of North Adelaide.