Lower North Adelaide
About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Lower North Adelaide is 2,343, with a population density of 30.42 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Lower North Adelaide is bounded by Lefevre Terrace and Kingston Terrace in the north, Mann Terrace in the east, MacKinnon Parade, Brougham Place, Sir Edwin Smith Avenue and Pennington Terrace in the south, and Palmer Place and Brougham Place in the west.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (1 Km2)
persons per hectare
North Adelaide was laid out by Colonel Light in 1837 as an urban satellite with 341 acre blocks surrounded by the Park Lands. Lower North Adelaide was characterised in its early days by labouring classes, artisans and tradesmen who lived in cottages on small allotments. The traditional residential character of Lower North Adelaide is reflected in areas such as Stanley Street West, the areas around St Peters Anglican Cathedral, and the Kentish Arms precinct, which features the city’s earliest subdivision, Chichester Gardens, developed in 1839. Growth was gradual until the 1870s. Rapid development took place in the late 1800s, continuing into the early 1900s. The population declined from the late 1940s, with gradual growth from the 1970s. The population increased gradually from the early 1990s, largely a result of new dwellings being added to the area.
Lower North Adelaide is a predominantly residential area, with some commercial and educational land use. Continuing commercial encroachments and the conversion of many houses to professional rooms and hostels have changed the area’s traditional residential character. The Melbourne Street area and areas around Women’s and Children’s Hospital are typical of this.
Major features of the area include Women’s & Children’s Hospital, The Memorial Hospital, the commercial area along Melbourne Street, St Peters Anglican Cathedral, Brougham Gardens/Tantutitingga, Kathleen Lumley College, St Ann’s College, St Mark’s College and Cora Barclay Centre for Deaf Children.
Lower North Adelaide encompasses most of the eastern part of the suburb of North Adelaide.